Getting help with tenancy issues in NSW
NEW Tenancy Complaint Service launched by Fair Trading in NSW helps landlords, property managers and tenants resolve disputes when communication between the parties has broken down.
We have all heard nightmare stories of bad tenants or horrible landlords. No matter which side of the fence you sit on, getting rental issues sorted can be stressful and time consuming.
Help is at hand.
The NSW Department of Fair Trading has launched their new "Tenancy Complaint Service" specifically to assist Landlords, Property Managers and Tenants resolve their problems.
The Complaint Service can assist with the following issues -
- repairs and maintenance
- non-urgent health and safety issues
- alterations to premises
- access to premises or inspections
- non-compliance with tenancy agreement
- water saving devices and smoke alarms
- provision of correct notices
- ending a tenancy or breaking a lease
- condition reports
- rental increases
- rental arrears of less than 14 days.
According to Fair Trading - the parties should try to sort things out themselves by following these steps:-
- Discuss your concerns and explain the problem with the other party. Let the other party express their concerns and position.
- Both of you should be ready to discuss issues related to the matter. This could include:
- tenancy agreements
- notices provided - often in prescribed form (we include the most common notices in our Premium Rental Agreement kit)
- condition reports
- Both of you should suggest ways to resolve the complaint and be willing to negotiate a mutually agreeable settlement.
- For advice, call Fair Trading on 13 32 20 to discuss your problem.
If you are not able to resolve the matter yourself, you can lodge a tenancy complaint with Fair Trading to begin the complaint process.
More Info - access the Service
See more at Tenancy Complaint Service
Fair Trading's Video
We acknowledge and thank Fair Trading for the information provided on this page.