RP Emery and Associates - Legal Publishers Since 1990
Category A-Z
HomeAbout UsBlogBusiness ContractsPeople and Relationship ContractsReal Estate ContractsCheck OutMembers

How to transfer property after separation

transferring property after separation
The transfer of property (family home or investment properties) in exchange for a cash payment is a common occurence during property settlement after separation or divorce.

After separation it is common for a couple to transfer the ownership of property, whether it be the family home, investment properties or both. 

Usually the property is transferred from

  • the joint names of both spouse partners, into the name of one party only or
  • from one party to the other.

To transfer property, a Transfer form needs to be registered with your State Lands department. 

The Transfer states the current owners of the property (called the Transferors), and the new name (the Transferee) that the property is to be transferred to.  For example, the Transferors may be Reginald Smith and Judy Smith, and the new owner (the Transferee) may be Judy Smith. 

Make sure the Transferor’s details on your Transfer form, match the owner’s details listed on the Title for the property exactly.  You can do this by getting a copy of your Certificate of Title, or ordering a title search.

Before lodging your signed Transfer at the Lands department, it will first need to be stamped by the Office of State Revenue.  If you are seeking an exemption of stamp duty, for example, if transferring the marital home between spouses, or an investment property pursuant to a Financial Agreement, then you will need to submit the necessary exemption documentation and have your Transfer marked as exempt.  There are different procedures depending on your state – so click on the links below if you need more details.

Once the Transfer is stamped by the Office of State Revenue, it will then need to be registered at the Lands Department in your State.  This will transfer the title to the new owner.

If a mortgage exists over the property, it will need to be discharged (paid out) and a new mortgage taken out in the name of the party to whom the property is being transferred to.

The financial institution providing the new loan funds will usually arrange for the completed Transfer form to be registered at the same time as they are registering their Mortgage over the land.  They will hold the Certificate of Title as security, usually not releasing it until their Mortgage is paid out.  They will usually register the Transfer form at the same time that they register the Discharge of the old mortgage, and the registration of their new Mortgage over the property.

Check with your Mortgagee (Financial Institution) first

If you are re-mortgaging, check with your incoming financial institution about what they will need from you first.

The financial institution will usually need the signed and stamped Transfer form and a copy of your Binding Financial Agreement.

transferring property?

Doing it yourself?

To prepare the Transfer form yourself and, if necessary, complete the registration process (if a bank is not registering the Transfer on your behalf), see:-

Alternatively, you may wish to use a settlement agent, conveyancer or solicitor to undertake this process on your behalf.

This is a brief summary only.  For more detailed information, contact the Land Titles Office or Office of State Revenue in your state directly about their requirements, forms and fees when transferring land.  Direct links to these organisations are provided off the pages linked to above.

Sign up to the Bottom Line